It was a blustery Saturday afternoon. I had just finished feeding my nubian dairy shows goats their molasses-y lunch, and made myself some jasmine tea and was flipping through my Google news feed. Among all the dismal headlines of nuclear bombs, chemical warfare, and the latest orange gorilla tyrant, I scrolled upon an article featuring pleasingly pastel felines. I got 1/3 through the article and KNEW I had found something.
Lickety-split I had CryptoKitties convincing me to “join meow”, then a Metamask account, an Ethereum Account, a Coinbase (where you can also buy and trade Bitcoin), then Etherscan and even my first Reddit (long been a lurker, never went down that rabbit hole until now). I found myself with my first Ethereum, as well.
I had been interested in Cryptocurrency since last year. Had I invested then, I would be a ten-thousandaire by now.
I always doubted myself with cryptocurrency: was it even legal? How could I ever afford to buy a BitCoin? Well, as it turns out, you don’t need $10,000 to buy your first BitCoin – it doesn’t work like that. You could buy BitCoin with, like, $5. It’s not coins like physical coins, you can have (a lot) less than one – its portions or more of a share. In any denomination, too – you choose. So really, as long as you have a bank account, you can be the proud owner of a little bit of Bitcoin!
CryptoKitties uses Ethereum, a currency with less value per 1 share, so most of your CryptoKitties transactions, as of this publishing, will be in the 0.00X range. Depending on the Gas Limit and Gas Price (which you will learn about very quickly should you choose wisely to join CryptoKitties) you choose, buying a kitty is around $2.50+ and breeding one about $0.50+. You only need two kitties to start breeding. They are hermaphroditic, so doesn’t matter who is the sire and who lays the egg and incubates the bun in the oven.
It would have been a long time to get me motivated to set up a digital wallet, set up security, a way to track myself: since everything is open and public, you see EVERYTHING and need to find yourself in there, and a long time for me to put a few dollars into cryptocurrency! The kitties did it! CryptoKitties won!
So, here are the five reasons you need CryptoKitties:
5. You will finally own cryptocurrency. Yes, the game uses Ethereum, but while you’re on CoinBase, you may as well throw some bones into BitCoin while you are there. And hey, Ethereum and maybe even LiteCoin may be worthwhile to give a serious look.
4. You will become remarkably more blockchain savvy. Understanding mining, speed of transactions, and how to manipulate your choices to work in your favor, especially on such a small scale, will REALLY be in your favor as time goes on. Better to learn it and make a $0.04 mistake now, than be trying to send someone a large sum in the future and totally botching it and not even succeeding, still at a price.
3. CryptoKitties will get you interested in investing and following market trends. Maybe something you want to get back to, or start up in the first place. This simple, kitty-as-token based game will prove insightful, and teach you strategies you can apply in other realms.
2. You will be cool. You will finally have something cutting edge, timely and interesting to talk about during all your awkward upcoming holiday parties. From your hipster nephew to old Uncle Rocco who keeps promising he is going off the grid, you are sure to drum up a refreshing lively conversation, surely better than the red and blue convo’s of recent drunken family / work / acquaintance get-togethers.
1. They are cute. That’s it. Cute and fun. That is what everyone wants, and what everyone needs, including YOU!
Be a doll and let me refer you to CoinBase (I get $10!): Melissa Miko’s Coinbase Referral